Story 74 - Locations in Lincoln
During our 75 year history, humble beginnings and many addresses; NHRI has always proven it’s about the people and the programs, not the address.
Let’s take a look back at 75 years of NHRI project locations.
The earliest project activities were held at Westminster Presbyterian Church in the late 1940’s. The offices of Dr. Hall and his graduate students, including Dr. Clifton, were in the Teacher’s College and then in the Temporary K building on campus.
Dr. William E. Hall, 1945
Dorothy Hall Schafer, daughter of Dr. William Hall, recalled her father’s office in the Temporary K building on campus: “These were temporary buildings used during World War II. The buildings housed the increase in the student body and professional staff. Temporary K building consisted of his office, space for his graduate students and a classroom.”
In the early 1950’s, NHRI, then called Lincoln Citizenship Project, was made up of fourteen University students and fourteen junior and senior high school students. Their meetings were held at the Nebraska Student Union. Dorothy, a member of the Lincoln Citizenship Project, shared these pictures of project meetings at the Student Union in 1957.
From 1957-1966, NHRI called Room 412 within the 4th Floor Administration Building home. Regular project meetings were held Thursday nights at the Student Union building.
Dr. Hall leading meeting and project discussions at the UNL Student Union in 1957
In 1966, NHRI moved into the basement of Love Library. The new center was entered on the west side of Love Library via steps leading down into the basement. There were offices for Dr. Hall and Clifton along with booths for several graduate students, and multiple meeting rooms. Board President, Thomas C. Woods Jr., was credited with making the center a possibility, which became a reality. The center was dedicated to his father, Thomas C. Woods Sr.'s memory.
During the dedication banquet for the new center, it was suggested that all meetings at the new center should be called “Woodsies” given the tireless efforts to create this dedicated space.
In June 2024, members of the 75th Anniversary Committee had a curated campus tour led by local historian Ed Zimmer. On the tour, board member Mike Wortman, shared memories of the Love Library meeting space.
In 1971, NHRI moved from the Love Library into the 501 Building. NHRI called the 501 Building home for nearly 30 years. Upon leaving the 501 Building in 2000, NHRI moved into Mabel Lee Hall within the College of Education and Human Sciences. After spending almost a decade at Mabel Hall, NHRI transitioned into Agricultural Hall as part of the AgLec (Agricultural Leadership, Education, Communication) Program.
On August 17, 2015, ALEC office moved from Agricultural Hall to its new location in 143 Filley Hall, on East Campus, where it is today. Project meetings are held in Burnett Hall on City Campus.
Filley Hall, where the NHRI office is today
Burnett Hall, where project meetings are held today